Friday, February 25, 2011

A Well-Known Idiot

"A well-known idiot is more respected in America than a brilliant recluse.  Fame has become the ultimate credibility." Michael Levine

I guess it all started with the advertising pitch, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."  I remember seeing that commercial when I was a kid, but I can't remember the actor's name or what he was selling.  But my guess would be people bought it.

You see this come to play in every election. You would see it on the shopping channels if you watched the shopping channels.

An actor hits the talk shows, the news or the stage and talks as if he is an expert in government and public policy. He probably isn't saying anything he didn't hear on CNN or Fox, but because he is famous, and probably a hunk, he gets an audience.  I would imagine he even gains a few votes for his candidate.  At least the candidate thinks he will, or he wouldn't have invited him to the stump.

A famous actress talks about a skin care product as if she is a PhD in Dermatology.  She uses a few big words and sounds smart repeating what the manufacturer and the teleprompter are telling her.  She sells product by the millions.  She's pretty and famous so she must know what she's talking about!

I don't think Michael Levine is saying that every famous person who sells stuff on TV is an idiot.  I'm certainly not saying that.  And I'm certainly not saying that being a recluse is something to be proud of, no matter how brilliant you are.  What I'm getting at is the issue of credibility.

Let me offer an example along entirely different lines from the life of my daughter, Darby.  At 8 years old she is constantly starting conversations about Jesus.  It started with her peers, but lately she has found herself talking to adults she doesn't even know.  But when it comes to the adults, she believes she has credibility issues.  (That's my paraphrase.)  "I just don't think grown-ups are gonna listen to a little kid."

Credibility is both objective and subjective, so it's a hard thing to get your hands on.  Credibility is the quality that makes a person believable.  It's trustworthiness gained through character, skill and knowledge.  To use Webster's words, it's the quality or power of inspiring belief.  In the end, we all want to be believable.  We all want to inspire others.  So we work and pray for the integrity and knowledge that makes us trustworthy.  We labor for the what Proverbs calls a "good name" (Proverbs 3:3-4; 22:1)  It comes from love and faithfulness. Credibility doesn't require riches, but a good name is worth far more than riches.  If I passionately know and believe in  my "product", love the people to whom I "sell", then I would imagine people will be "buying".

2 comments:

D Miller said...

I think Darby has all the credibility she needs to keep on sharing with adults.

John said...

All Darby needs for cred with anybody is a blend of competence and confidence -- and she has those in spades ...