Friday, February 18, 2011

Life Structure Meat Bones

"Life precedes structure. Structure is for supporting life."

I'm not sure where I got the quote for today, but it's been in my quote rack for several years. I haven't studied much about how God puts together the human body in the womb, but it would probably be a good guess that the skeleton is not the first part created. The skeleton probably comes along when it has something to form and support. The same is true in the church or any other organization. Structures, systems, organization or whatever you would like to call them are there to support life and movement. I once heard someone ask the question, "Would you rather try to organize an unorganized movement or try to get a dead organization moving?" In other words, the choice in the question is between life without structure or structure without life. Choices aren't always this cut and dry, but if I had to chose I would go with the first.

We have been talking a lot about systems at Creekside Church, and I'm quite excited about it. There is a common understanding that there is life and health, that we have a movement that needs structure. I have learned that trying to bring structure where there is no movement seems to frustrate people. But systems where there is life enhance, facilitate and give shape to the life that God has given.

No comments: