Friday, March 04, 2011

Selling Dreams For Small Desires

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
And lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
to relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets and quiet nights

Any escape might help disprove
the unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to sooth
the restless dreams of youth
From the song Subdivisions by Neil Peart

The suburbs are a curious place.  Some dream of moving there.  Some dream of moving out.  Some see the suburbs as an ideal destination, a place they would live if everything worked out for the best.  Others see the suburbs as a place to be tolerated until everything works out for better.  Neil Peart, drummer for the rock band Rush, seems to understand this. This song calls the suburbs the "mass production zone".  It's the place where every need is met within a five-mile radius.  It's the paradise of consumers. 
 
But as the song says, the suburbs can be very tough on dreams.  Dreams shrink, get misplaced and become disoriented in the endless cycle of  consumption and busyness.  Big visions get sold for small desires.  This helps me pray Ephesians 4:17 for the world around me.  I'm praying for the suburbs to let people down.  I'm praying for the suburbs' promises to come up empty.  And I'm praying for God's people to be there with a glorious, satisfying vision of life in Jesus Christ.  I'm praying for churches and neighborhoods filled and flowing with dreams of a kingdom that is the true destination, where every true need is met in Christ the King.


PS/Addendum/Extra/BTW
Neil Peart makes no claim to be a Christian, and if you were to peruse his lyrics you might even find some anti-Christian songs.  He has said on numerous occasions, "I am no one's disciple", so his beliefs can be a bit difficult to pin down. But that certainly doesn't mean we can't let him help us pray.  Let your radio/CD/Mp3 player lead you to prayer.  I confess I have even found myself in tears listening to Willie Nelson sing "Bloody Mary Morning" as I prayed for the people who wake up on Sunday morning with a hangover, once again having been failed by a drink.


PSS Here's the video in all it's 80's glory!

3 comments:

John said...

When you said Rush, I thought Limbaugh -- so you lost me way, way early !!1

Jim said...

Dean,

You know I'm a huge Rush fan. You never cease to amaze and inspire me. Thank you for your insight and commitment to God. I'm blessed to have you as a friend.

Jim said...

By the way, the only Rush song I can play on the piano. :)