Monday, May 10, 2010

The Law of the Farm & My Heart

In the previous post I talked about the law of the farm, that we simply cannot "cram" when it comes to how we use our time.  A farmer would never survive if he procrastinated on sowing seed and then tried to "cram" a crop in August, hoping to reap a harvest in September.  I've been thinking about how this same principle as it applies to my heart, especially in relation to the Apostle Paul's words from Galatians 6:7-9:
"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.  The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
I wonder how often I try to "cram" the fruit of the Spirit after spending more time sowing to the flesh?  Do I think I'm pulling one over on God by doing this?  A pastor with whom I once served used to say, "A lot of Christians spend Monday through Saturday sowing to the flesh and then go to church on Sunday and pray for crop failure."  Paul says sowing to the Spirit requires perseverance and faith that God will cause fruit to be born in my life.  I really want love, joy, peace, patience, etc. in my life and I pray that God will give me grace to apply the law of the farm to my heart

No comments: