Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bunyan Preached the Gospel to Himself!

As I've preached through Ephesians, on a number of occasions I've encouraged people to "preach the gospel to yourself".  Years ago I struggled with debilitating doubt and still struggling with pride.  I still struggle with both pride and discouragement.  I have found that the gospel is the remedy for these and many other ailments.  Bunyan experienced an extended time of wondering if he had committed an unpardonable sin and "feeling hopelessly damned."  His remedy was to preach to himself the gospel of God's free, justifying grace.
"One day as I was passing into the field ... this sentence fell upon my soul.  Thy righteousness is in heaven.  And methought, withal, I saw with the eyes of my soul Jesus Christ at God's right hand; there, I say, was my righteousness; so that wherever I was, or whatever I was doing, God could not say of me, he wants [lacks] my righteousness, for that was just before Him.  I also saw, moreover, that it was not my good frame of heart that made my righteousness better, nor yet my bad frame that made my righteousness worse, for my righteousness was Jesus Christ Himself, "The same yesterday, today, and forever." Hebrews 13:8.  Now did my chains fall off my legs indeed.  I was loosed from my afflictions and irons."

No comments: