Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What if you couldn't buy a Bible?

As a teenage boy, Brother Yun wanted a Bible desperately.  He had never seen or touched one.  He didn't know anyone who knew what a Bible looked like.  He was desperate enough to get a glimpse of a Bible that he walked many miles to the village of a man who had spent 20 years in prison for his faith.  The old pastor told him, "The Bible is a heavenly book.  If you want one, you'll need to pray to the God of heaven.  Only He can provide you a heavenly book.  God is faithful.  He always answers those who seek Him with all of their heart."  Yun returned home and every evening for over a month he prayed the same prayer, "Lord, please give me a Bible.  Amen."  No Bible appeared.

Yun returned to the man's house and begged for a glance at his Bible!  He was told he needed to fast and weep.  "I went home, and every morning and afternoon I ate and drank nothing.  Every evening I ate just one small bowl of steamed rice.  I cried like a hungry child to his heavenly Father, wanting to be filled with His Word.  For the next one hundred days I prayed for a Bible, until I could bear it no more.  My parents were sure I was losing my mind." (p.28)

I have several Bibles on my shelf.  I can get online and find thousands of translations and versions of the Bible for purchase.  Even in the small town where I live I could drive 10-15 minutes in several directions and buy a Bible.

I'm wondering if I would pray like Yun did if all of my Bibles were to disappear and I had no way to buy one.

No comments: